Tuesday 23 July 2013

From the Horse's Mouth

Guys,

Here are the observations from the good people at the IB on RIs in 2012.

Recommendations for the teaching of future candidates

 Make sure the play/piece of theatre is from the practice.

 Make sure every single piece of evidence and information presented is attributed. It is 
better to attribute as much as you can whether through footnotes, endnotes or within the 
body of the text.

 Research should be consistently applied to the play/piece of theatre.

 Candidates should continue to draft and develop their questions as they research. The 
narrower the question the more in depth the answer and the application of the research.

 The register should be analytical rather than descriptive, with the candidate presenting 
the research, analyzing it and then communicating how this would be applied to a 
play/piece of theatre.

 The quality of visuals is important. They need to be clearly reproduced and of an 
adequate size so that any points they are making can be clearly seen. If colour is 
significant then the visuals should be in colour.

 Candidates need to include visuals especially in Research Investigations that focus on 
design

Comments.  Questions.  Observations.

What does this mean for us?

5 comments:

  1. "Research should be consistently applied to the play/piece of theatre." I am not sure how to do this part

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Pope, have you forgotten to post the Artaud book? Either that or my mum hasn't told me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you forgotten to post your response to the above?

    It remains on my list.

    I will post it next week when I'm in school and can put it on their bill!

    Chantelle...Consistently applied research just means that there is little scope for 'going off on one' with your own vision, thoughts and ideas for the piece. Everything that you assert for a realisation of the play should be based in verifiable research from quality sources. There shouldn't really be so much as a paragraph without some reference to research. That's why they call it the research investigation I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only post certain things and it will not let me copy and paste, I do not understand the 4th bullet point, sorry I haven't replied, my laptop charger has been broke so I have only just got a new one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know where to go with my research now. I have info on the style of theatre, Dario Fo, and a bit of back ground on te time when it was written but it's not loads.Does any of you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete